Thunderbirds Charities to Donate $10,000 to the ALS Arizona Chapter
By Claire Natale -
Monday Feb 01, 2021
Thunderbirds Charities, the fundraising wing of The Thunderbirds, hosts of the Waste Management Phoenix Open, donated $10,000 to the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Association Arizona Chapter this month.
“We are so grateful for this incredibly generous gift from Thunderbirds Charities,” said Taryn Norley, President and CEO of the ALS Association Arizona Chapter. “This donation will allow us to continue to invest in the more than 600 Arizona families who are affected by ALS.”
ALS is a terminal illness that impacts all aspects of a person’s life, often resulting in decreased quality of life at a time when it matters most. The ALS Association Arizona Chapter employs a multi-dimensional approach to support the physical, emotional, and social needs of people with ALS, and their families.
The chapter’s Living with ALS program helps families maintain a high quality of life by providing the following services:
• Multi-disciplinary clinics, which include regular visits with ALS specialists who coordinate the clinical management of physical disease progression.
• Support groups, where patients get opportunities to share personal experiences and learn strategies for managing the physical, social, emotional, and mental challenges of living with ALS.
• Counseling, where families receive individualized counseling to address topics related to coping with the diagnosis, conflict resolution, crisis intervention, and healthcare and end of life decision making.
• Certified child life specialists, who helps children who have a loved one with ALS understand the disease, process complex emotions, and learn coping skills.
• Social connections, or group leisure activities designed to form bonds with others affected by ALS.
• Family fun packs, or activity kits that are designed to facilitate positive family interactions and build memories before their loved one dies.
For more information the ALS Association Arizona Chapter, visit the website at alsaz.org. Like the organization on Facebook at ALS Association Arizona Chapter.
About ALS Arizona Chapter
The ALS Association Arizona Chapter provides services and support to patients suffering from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. The ALS Association is the only national nonprofit devoted solely to the fight against Lou Gehrig’s disease on all fronts. These include patient and family services and programs, community outreach, and research. ALS is 100% fatal with no known cause, cure, or effective treatment. Upon diagnosis, patients have only 2-5 years to live, and expenses for those living with ALS average $200,000 annually.
About Thunderbirds Charities
Thunderbirds Charities is a nonprofit organization formed in 1986 to distribute monies raised through the Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament. The Thunderbirds Charities Board consists of 15 board members from varying professional backgrounds. The mission of Thunderbirds Charities is to assist children and families, help people in need and improve the quality of life in our communities. The organization’s giving is directed toward organizations based in or with a significant presence in Arizona.