One Step Beyond Announces Appointment of Six New Board Members
By Justin Liggin -
Tuesday May 31, 2022
One Step Beyond, Inc. (OSBI)—a leading provider of comprehensive programming and services for adults who have intellectual disabilities—today announced the appointment of six new board members to a three-year term.
“One Step Beyond board members work tirelessly to support our vision of a world where individuals who have intellectual disabilities are fully included in all areas of the community and are recognized for their potential, talents and contributions to society,” says CEO Madison Blanton. “We’re thrilled to add six individuals who are passionate and ready to serve.”
• Hugh Knoell (zip code 85012) is an architect, founding principal and design leader of Knoell & Quidort Architects. He has more than 40 professional awards for planning and design of residential, commercial and community projects. Knoell also served as program assistant for Catholic Relief Services in Chile and program director in Nicaragua.
• Jennie S. Bader (zip code 95070) is an accomplished project and program manager with experience in overseeing nonprofit and high-tech programs. Bader has inspired positive change through client-focused advocacy, developing and managing collaborative teams that unite and enrich the community. In addition to working for startups and nonprofits, Bader’s resume includes positions at IBM, Cisco Gold Partner, eBay and Mirantis.
• Mary Lou Micheaels (zip code 85023) is a retired educator with experience in both the classroom and administration. She has been a longtime advocate for public education, including six years of service on the WESD Governing Board. Micheaels is a volunteer for numerous nonprofits, including OSBI and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Micheaels is currently working for the Maricopa County Department of Public Health implementing a COVID-19 relief grant for public schools. Micheaels daughter has attended OSBI for more than 10 years.
• Phil Cussen (zip code 94010) is the President/ COO of Epic Rights a music merchandising and artist services company. He has more than 35 years of executive experience in the merchandising, brand licensing and concert promotion industries, having formerly served as President/ COO at Live Nation Merchandise, Vice President, Finance at Clear Channel Entertainment Music West, and CFO at Winterland Productions. Cussen also served as Treasurer on the Board of the San Mateo Library Foundation.
• Travis J. McGann (zip code 85383 and 85308) is a Certified Financial Planner, advisor and president at Cogent Wealth Management, LLC. Prior to Cogent Wealth Management, McGann was an Investment and Consumer Banking Officer at Wells Fargo Advisors and JP Morgan Chase. McGann is a volunteer for the One Step Coyotes.
• Marc Fosse (zip code 94597) is an attorney at Trucker Huss and specializes in executive compensation and benefits. As part of his practice, he advises tax-exempt organizations on employee compensation and benefits. Fosse enjoys volunteering for nonprofits that serve individuals with special needs, such as the Fred Finch Youth Center. He was awarded the E. Randolph Williams Award for pro bono services for his work representing veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
The six new appointees join current board members Chairman Jim Rio, Treasurer Edward Schweitzer, Secretary Sheryl Benevides, Founder Mimi S. Rogers, Christine Beard, Chris Curtiss, Daniel E. Fredenberg, Edward L. Moran III, Grace Huang, Kelly Fogerlie, Ken Kondo, Jeff Peck, Dr. Joseph Rogers, and Stephanie Hayes.
About One Step Beyond, Inc.
Phoenix-based One Step Beyond, Inc. (OSBI) is a private, nonprofit organization that provides comprehensive programming and services for adults who have intellectual disabilities. One Step Beyond empowers its members to achieve independence, self-sufficiency, and employment through innovative culinary, education, fitness, and arts programs, as well as strategic partnerships with local businesses that enable participants to contribute to and achieve greater social participation in their communities. One Step Beyond has four locations in the Phoenix Metro area, including Glendale, Peoria, Scottsdale, and Surprise, and a location in San Carlos, California. For more information about One Step Beyond programs and services, visit https://osbi.org/.