Dr. Arpita Surkunte, Founder of New Viva M.D., Offers Five Ways to Shelter in Place During the Novel Coronavirus Outbreak
By Lisa Padilla -
Friday Mar 27, 2020
Five ways to make sure your health is your priority during this difficult time.
Build a structured schedule for you and your family:
• Get everyone involved while making the schedule
• Have a set time everyone must be awake
• Two hours of learning from 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
• Hours set aside for screen-time
Schedule an activity every day:
• Jog inside the home
• Strength training with available weights
• Hop on the elliptical or treadmill
• Basketball in backyard
• Daily family total steps contest to keep teens involved and off the phones
• Play with your Pet
Do fun things:
• Board games
• Movie night
• Eat on a table in the backyard
Watch news only 1-2 times per day
• Stay informed and not obsessed
• Keep focused and healthy
Plan your meals ahead:
• Involve your family and cook with your kids
• Have a weekly menu ready
• Family dinner
• Virtual dinner with extended friends and family
• Plan for 10-12 minutes of mindfulness with your family
• Put things in perspective
By Dr. Arpita Surkunte, founder of New Viva MD
About Dr. Arpita Surkunte
Dr. Surkunte is board-certified in Internal Medicine and a Diplomate of obesity medicine and a member of the Obesity Medicine Association. She completed her medical school in India followed by Internal medicine residency training at Maricopa medical center in Phoenix, AZ. Over the last decade, Dr. Surkunte has worked as a hospitalist at Banner MD Anderson gateway medical center and later as a Medical Director and Primary care physician for Cigna for several years. She has redefined her career after recognizing the need for doctors outside the current traditional care who can help their patients with the prevention of obesity, obesity-related illnesses and focus on nutrition exercise and wellness. She has extensive experience in treating patients with chronic illnesses and optimizing their health. Learn more at http://www.newvivamd.com.
This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice.
Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition.