CHASSE Building Team Awarded 2020 Tempe Large Business of the Year
By Alison Bailin -
Friday Jun 26, 2020
CHASSE Building Team, located at 230 S. Siesta Lane in Tempe, has been awarded the 2020 Tempe Chamber of Commerce Large Business of the Year. Barry Chasse, founder of CHASSE Building Team (CHASSE), accepted the honor on behalf of the company during the Tempe Chamber State of the Chamber event, hosted virtually on June 26. The Chamber shared a video, filmed socially distanced, from Chasse as part of the honor, which is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/22569kng2mo8fui/Chasse_v3.mp4?dl=0
CHASSE Building Team is an award-winning general contractor that oversees more than $250 million in construction projects annually, all of which are in Arizona. Their focuses are education, nonprofits, retail, multi-family housing and industrial spaces. Committed to giving back to the local community, Chasse Building Team has donated more than $3.5 million to 100-plus Arizona-focused charitable causes to date, especially those helping children.
According to Chasse, an area of particular pride are their two dozen-plus recently completed LEED Certified projects in greater-Phoenix and Tucson, more than half of which are LEED Platinum. Among them:
• AVIVA, an amenity-rich, smart apartment community earning itself the first multifamily development to be built to National Green Building Standards (NGBS) in the area.
• Patina Wellness Center, which earned the LEED Silver designation and provides substance abuse and co-occurring treatment services focusing on integrating the mind, body and spirit.
• Landmark Senior Housing, a LEED Platinum designated development that serves those who are no longer able to live on their own but still desire to be independent. The building uses less water and energy, produces a reduced amount of greenhouse gases, and incorporates "high-quality-transit" to encourage the use of public transportation resulting in lowering regional pollution.
• Boys & Girls Club of the East Valley Compadre Branch, a LEED Silver project that used local sourcing, recycled content materials, low flow fixtures, and salvaged demo materials.
• Cedar Crossing, a LEED Platinum affordable apartment development was awarded the Housing Hero Award presented by the Arizona Department of Housing.
• Mesa Artspace, a LEED Platinum housing development for artists qualified as low income that also achieved the LEED for Homes Midrise Platinum certification by incorporating various energy efficient systems including LED lighting and low flow water restrictions.
“We also reduce our environmental impact on all of our projects by diverting construction waste from landfills through recycling, salvaging and repurposing existing buildings, and reduce our carbon footprint by using local materials and manufacturers,” says Chasse.
Beyond its projects, CHASSE has also gone the extra mile when it comes to his physical business presence.
“In late 2018, we expanded into a new 17,000-square-foot headquarters in Tempe,” says Chasse. “Every aspect of our new home is not only environmentally responsible, but also takes into consideration team member comfort and operational protocols.”
The building features high efficiency mechanical units, which reduced energy consumption by over 30%; an energy management system, which fully automates the mechanical, lighting, and power systems; passive cooling, which utilizes mechanical economizers and low velocity ceiling fans; energy efficient lighting; building envelope; and photovoltaics.
“We also use digital plans with specialty software to limit paper waste, but we do recycle any such waste we do incur,” says Chasse, who also offers each employee a height adjustable work station and built recreation area on-site with ping pong and other active things to do during down time.
This honor comes in what has been a very proud time for the growing company, despite the current pandemic. In 2019, CHASSE Building Team was honored to be named an AZ Business Angel by AZ Business Magazine as well as among the Most Admired Companies in Arizona by BestCompaniesAZ. Also in 2019, CHASSE’s Tucson team earned the Tucson Metro Chamber Copper Cactus Award, and Barry Chasse himself was named Construction Executive of the Year by the Valley of the Sun Chapter of Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA). He was recognized for his philanthropic drive, care for other people, and commitment to the construction industry. In addition, also both in 2019 and 2020, Barry Chasse was recognized by Arizona State University as among the Class of 2019 Sun Devil 100 honorees. The Sun Devil 100 celebrates the achievements of Sun Devil-owned and Sun Devil-led businesses across the world. The ASU Alumni Association selects alumni business leaders who are igniting innovation and invites them back to campus each spring to be recognized, honored, and reacquainted with their alma mater.
CHASSE has also worked very hard as an essential business amid COVID-19. Here is an overview of their programs and commitment to ensuring the safe growth of Arizona at this time: https://chasse.us/covid-19-update/