Celebrate Skateboarding, Culture, Art and Community at the Heard on June 17
By Claire Natale -
Friday Jun 09, 2023
PHOENIX – The Heard Museum is excited to invite the community to Skate Hemapai: Celebration of Skateboarding, Culture, Art & Community, a free, family-friendly event, on Saturday, June 17 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In partnership with Cowtown Skateboards and Seven Layer Army, this unforgettable skate gathering will also feature the chance to purchase a pair of Nike SB N7 Dunk Low Pro “Decon” Sneakers while supplies last, with a portion of all shoe sales benefitting the Phoenix Indian Center.
Attendees will have the option to:
• Bring their own skateboard and skate at the Heard Museum on a custom-built mini ramp and props course.
• Learn skate deck design and building from Gila River Indian Community members Paul Molina and Ruben Ringlero of Seven Layer Army.
• Participate in a Q&A session with Di’Orr Greenwood (Diné) and Kandis Quam (Zuni Pueblo/Diné) about their skate deck art in He’e Nalu: The Art and Legacy of Hawaiian Surfing.
• Collect and color a limited-edition skateboarding coloring book.
• Complete an in-gallery activity to earn a light-up tech deck (while supplies last).
• Visit artist and community partner tables.
• Enjoy beats provided by DJ This-Just-In (Akimel O’odham & Tohono O’odham) and DJ Tribal Touch (Diné).
• Learn about screen printing with Warbird Press and Jacob Meders (Mechoopda- Maidu) by having a design printed on a fabric item that attendees bring from home.
• Watch skate videos.
• And more.
“Skate Hemapai” is made possible by sponsors Cowtown Skateboards, Cowtown Nonprofit, Nike n7, APS, Molly Blank Fund, the Halle Foundation and the Steele Foundation. The event’s programming partners include Seven Layer Army, Warbird Press and the Indigenous Community Collaborative. The event will take place on Saturday, June 17 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, please visit heard.org/.