12 News Wins National Headliner and Associated Press Awards
By Lisa Padilla -
Friday May 08, 2020
The 12 News team is honored to receive recognition from the National Headliner and Associated Press awards.
"With everything happening in the world today, our role in the community is more important than ever and our commitment to delivering facts and depth of journalism is something we measure ourselves against in every story we cover. "
“The recognitions for exceptional, quality journalism are fulfilling for our entire team especially when they come from our industry peers,” says President and General Manager, Dean Ditmer. “There is a long-standing tradition at 12 News of excellence and leading through providing vital news, information, and entertainment throughout Arizona. In these difficult times, we realize never has our duty and commitment to our community been more important than right now. We are dedicated to mining and confirming the “facts” in an age where information and misinformation travels at the speed of light across digital and social platforms.”
The Associated Press Television and Radio Association (APTRA) recognized 12 News in multiple categories for large market journalism and storytelling excellence.
12 News wins AP Awards for:
• Outstanding News Operation: KPNX-TV, Phoenix
• Best Evening Newscast: Mark Faccio and George Davilas, KPNX-TV, Phoenix
• Best Weathercast: Mark Faccio and Alexis Mladenoff, KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "Winter Wallop".
• Best Sportscast: Jeffrey Schneider and Paul Gerke, KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "Cardinals Locker Room."
• Best Reporter: Ryan Cody, KPNX-TV, Phoenix
• Best Sports Coverage: Chris Peterson and Chierstin Susel, KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "Covering "Camp T"."
• Best Sports Feature Story: William Pitts and David Bataller, KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "The Science of Golf"
• Best Continuing Coverage: KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "Inside an International Adoption Scheme."
• Best Enterprise Reporting: Mark Curtis and Phillip Mathews, KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "Becoming Rachel".
• Best Use of Videography: Phillip Mathews, KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "Equal Justice."
The 12 News team was also recognized in second place for:
• Best Digital Presence: Judd Slivka, KPNX-TV, Phoenix.
• Best Anchor: Caribe Devine, KPNX-TV, Phoenix.
• Best Investigative Reporting: Bianca Buono and Nick Perez, KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "Reign of Terror on Willetta Street."
• Best Daytime Newscast: Adam Stocksdale and Jessica O'Toole, KPNX-TV, Phoenix, "Today in AZ."
The Associated Press is a not-for-profit news cooperative that represents thousands of newspapers and broadcast stations across the United States.
And earlier in the month, 12 News was also recognized by The National Headliner Awards, presented to outstanding writers, photographers, daily newspapers, magazines, graphic artists, radio and television stations and networks, and news syndicates.
12 News wins:
Broadcast or cable television stations newscast:
First Place: “12 News at 6pm: Police Protest”, Kacie Talamante and Matt Wendt - 12 News
Summary: Police officers screaming profanities, guns drawn and threatening to shoot a Phoenix family, including a pregnant mom, holding a baby.
Broadcast or cable television stations feature, sports or human-interest story:
Third Place: “Impact: Waiting For a Heart”, William Pitts and Phillip Mathews - 12 News
Summary: 22 people die every day waiting for a lifesaving transplant. Just as hope was fading, the Aispuro family got the call they were desperately waiting for, a heart was on its way.
“I am incredibly proud of the entire 12 News team and humbled for being recognized by the Associated Press, National Headliner Awards, and Gracies for our commitment to gold standard journalism and storytelling. Our TEGNA mission is to serve the greater good of our communities and we consider this to be both a privilege and a responsibility. During these uncertain times, we are committed to serving our audience with FACTS NOT FEAR, across all our 12 News platforms,” says News Director, George Davilas.
About 12 News:
12 News is the Phoenix NBC affiliate owned by TEGNA Inc. Built on a legacy of trust, 12 News serves nearly five million people every month on air, on the 12 News app, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and 12News.com. We are committed to hyper-locally serving all our communities. We advocate for our neighbors, affect positive change, and connect our broader community to solutions.
TEGNA Inc. is a media company innovating in the digital age. Our purpose is to serve the greater good of our communities - through empowering stories, impactful investigations and innovative marketing services. As one of the most geographically diverse broadcasters in the U.S., TEGNA is a best-in-class operator with 62 television stations and four radio stations in 51 markets from coast to coast. We are the largest owner of Big Four affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups and reach 41.7 million television households, or approximately 39 percent of all TV households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults across our digital platforms. Across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, TEGNA stations have over 31 million social followers.